Friday, July 17, 2015

Charcoal Experiment #2


For the second day in a row I created another charcoal oil pastel piece.  (I apologize for not posting my religious theme story like I promised in my last post, but it's 2 am and this was easier to cover before bed.)

This time, I continued with the whole fabric thing I have going on at the moment.  Funny enough, I'm still referencing and being inspired by pictures I took 2 year ago at college of my roommate with my bed sheet over her.  I'm so glad I organize my reference pictures by year and subject so I can easily access them.

This time, to further experiment, I tried to apply the charcoal to a base layer of Portfolio series water soluble oil pastels instead of my usual Mungyo Gallery soft oil pastels.  The reason for this being that the Portfolio pastels are incredibly cheap and I have tons of boxes of them.  Therefore, I love to use them when I work on huge projects, like when my professors tell me to do 3 feet x 4 feet projects (which actually happens quite often).  My Mungyo pastels are far to precious to waste like that, so I sacrifice a little bit of quality on my larger works so I can save money (college student budget).

This time, my piece turned out quite well with no noticeable changes as far as the charcoal sticking and blending are concerned.  This piece is 5.5"x 8.5" and was created on Strathmore Sketch paper (my favorite kind of all-purpose sketch books).

No comments:

Post a Comment