Tuesday, August 18, 2015

College: so much supplies and so little space

So, as you know, I am preparing to go back to the wonderful world of college in a few days and so, I spent all of today packing and sorting all my art supplies.  Now since NONE of my art teachers have responded to me or sent me any sort of supply lists, I just have to overpack and hope for the best (and bring a lot of gift cards for the art stores in town).

My main worry for move in day is my roommate running out of the room, terrified that she's living with a hoarder who brought 8 boxes of art supplies on the first day.

In order to avoid this scenario, I am discreetly going to bring up my materials in different waves.  Since I live close by, my parents are going to bring my materials over the course of a few days, so I don't get overwhelmed the first day.  The hope is that I will also have an art locker (and HOPEFULLY a BFA art studio to work in) but we'll see.

For my first wave, I'm just bringing up the supplies I HAVE TO HAVE.  I also plan on working the weekend before classes start (such an overachiever) and I want to start working on another paper cutout model of my church.

So far my list is as follows:

FIRST WAVE-
  • Mungyo Gallery Soft Oil Pastels (3 old boxes of 48)
  • Portfolio Water Soluble Oil Pastels (3 new boxes of 12)
  • 3 Sennelier oil pastels (black, gray, and white)
  • All tortillons I have on hand
  • Prang watercolors (half and full pan)
  • 4 cheap brushes
  • 5 vine charcoal sticks of various sizes in a glass jar
  • 2 Scraper tools
  • 5 Color Shapers
  • 2 Trays to hold water (for watercolors)
  • 3 pieces of wood (16" x 4" x .25")
  • Metal ruler
  • 6" clear ruler
  • T-Square
  • Triangle Ruler (can't live without it)
  • Tape Measure
  • Scissors
  • Smart Living Invisible Tape (6)
  • Sandpaper (varying tooths and sheet sizes)
  • thumb tacks
  • 2 Strathmore Sketchpads 5.5" x 8.5", 100 sheets each
  • Plastic portfolio 30" x 23"
  • first aid kid (I'm clumsy)
  • box cutter
  • Cutting Mat 16" x 23"
  • 6 Kneadable Erasers
  • Pearl Eraser
  • Camera/Charger
  • Flashlight and Lamp (for light sources)
  • pencil sharpener
  • pack of Ticonderoga #2 pencils
  • 8 leadless pencils
  • pack of Bic round stic black pens
  • a box full of old colored pencils of various brands, sizes, and colors
  • giant drawing board with clips
  • MY SAVIOR - my lap desk (a comfy drawing board with clips, a pillow underneath it, and indents to store all of my tools when I'm working
SECOND WAVE-
  • 9 Oil Paint Tubes
  • 2 Sable brushes
  • 4 dead brushes (last year was a bad year)
  • brush cleaner
  • gamsol
  • galkyd 
  • 3 alcohol inks (Adirondack brights - red, blue, and yellow) 
  • Alcohol Blending Solution
  • India ink
  • Sumi ink
  • Face/Mouth mask (for charcoal)
  • extra xacto knife (for my possible studio)
  • 100 No. 11 xacto blades
  • Iridescent Medium
  • Ox Gall Liquid
  • Masking Fluid
  • Gum Arabic
  • A Sponge (found in Hobby Lobby) - good for texture
  • YES! Paste
  • Scotch blue painter's tape
  • electrical tape
  • 4 Sharpies 
  • 3 Golden Artist Colors Acrylic Paint tubes (red, blue, and yellow)
  • Strathmore Sketchpad 5.5" x 8.5", 100 sheets
  • Borden & Riley #880s Royal Sketch Book 6" x 9", 60 sheets
  • Strathmore Watercolor pad 9" x 12", 12 sheets
  • scrap pieces of tracing paper
  • Canson XL Mixed Media Pad 18" x 24"
  • Canson Drawing Pad 18" x 24"
  • Strathmore Newsprint Pad 18" x 24"
  • Canson Watercolor Pad 18" x 24" 
  • Yupo Sheet (huge)
  • Arches Paper 22" x 28" (around 7 sheets)
  • Any old artworks, references, art magazines I feel are inspiring enough to bring back with me
  • As much scrap paper as humanly possible
And there you have it.  This is the chaos that I'm living with right now.  I am taking a figure drawing class and a painting class next semester with professors I've never heard of, so I really have nothing to base my supply list on.  I can't say that I've used all of the materials mentioned since a lot of art professors make you buy a ton of stuff and never use it in their classes.  Honestly, if any of you know anything about Iridescent Medium, Ox Gall Liquid, Masking Fluid, or Gum Arabic PLEASE tell me!  

Anyway, thanks for listening to my hectic life.  Now that everything artsy is sorted (for the most part) I can go on to packing and sorting through all the clothes and books in my closet, YAY! *collapses from exhaustion*

No comments:

Post a Comment