Monday, March 23, 2015

Spring Break Challenge

So for my next project which focuses on creating DIY prosthetics using a 3D printer, I decided to challenge myself to create a drawing without using my arms.  Instead, I used my feet and occasionally my mouth to hold a pen to draw a picture.  What I discovered during my research was that my feet cramp fairly easily which makes it hard for me to draw for long periods of time without becoming fatigued.  Also, it was very difficult to vary different kinds of pressure and lines.  It was almost impossible to make straight or accurate lines as well.  Another issue I had was how to sit and work on the drawing.  I found that clamping it onto a drawing pad made the process much easier and propping it up with pillows while I was seated on the couch was easier than working on the floor.  I also found it interesting that one foot was not easier to work with than the other, so I was able to switch off easily.  Though my drawing is incomplete, it still took hours and hours to do.  Overall, this was definitely more challenging than I thought it would be and if I had to do this over again, I probably would have picked an easier material to work with, like oil pastels, and I also would have worked larger so the little mistakes and inconsistencies wouldn't show up as much.



3 comments:

  1. Hi my name is Brandon from Mr Karliners class. We have a very similar project that we are doing . My group taped our hand so we can only use our pointer finger to paint a portrait of a fellow class mates. I am not exactly an artist so it was quite a challenge. I feel the way you went about the problems was pretty smart. My hardest challenge was keeping my hand steady so I used my other arm to steady it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! We did a similar exercise in my class except we taped all of our fingers down except two of our choice on each hand. Painting and oil pastels were easy, but using scissors was a nightmare! I had to use my feet to hold the paper down on a chair so I could use them properly.

      Delete
  2. Hey my name is Dan i was in Brandon's group for our project that was similar to this one. The fact you used your feet was pretty cool and your drawing was impressive for using your feet. You also have some fine toes

    ReplyDelete